Monday, December 23, 2013

Review of 2013

2013 has been a busy year since I got back into figure painting after a long hiatus. This time I wanted to push myself to push the boundaries of my painting and hope to be placed among the great painters at Euro Militaire one day.

2013 Production

8 figures/busts were completed thus far and with 2013 ending in about a week's time, i may just complete another bust pushing the final output to 9 before 2014. While i targeted to complete 1 figure per month, there were months where things did not pan out as they should and projects had to be shelved temporarily. Nonetheless i observed a marked improvement in my painting and am starting to better understand the finer points of figure painting.
 

 

 

1st International Competition - Scale Model World 2013

2013 was also my first foray into the international painting scene. It happened that my family trip to the UK coincided with the 50th anniversary of Scale Model World (SMW) organised by the International Plastic Modellers Society (UK). Learning that any scale modelling event would not be complete without a competition,  I entered a total of 4 figures/bust for 2 categories, Class 58 & 60 for 120mm sized full figures & busts respectively. My main objective of taking part was to seek exposure and experience an international competition. It was also to benchmark myself against other figure painters. Anything additional would be a bonus. To my pleasant surprise, 2 pieces were placed. The Chosin Few obtained Silver while Vasily Zaytsev was Commended :)

Lessons from the Competition

My key takeaway from the Competition are as follows:
  • Exaggerate the highlights The lighting in the competition hall was rather dim and cast a yellow light over the models placed on the tables. In addition, a blue cloth was laid on all the tables which resulted in figures painted blue to be less prominent. 
  • Pack CA adhesive separately A leak in the CA glue triggered the detectors at the airport during my departure. This resulted in a slight delay as I was put through a thorough scan where everything in the plastic carrying case was inspected.

Closing for 2013

In short 2013 was a good and productive year, having gotten back in the hobby after a long break. I see 2014 as another year of learning and growth as I seek to push the boundaries further. Its unlikely that I will travel to UK for another competition next year, though i would very much love to. Instead I would be looking out for regional competitions. For now M-CON 2014 and the competition organised by the Hong Kong Society of Scale Modelling are in the plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment